In May 2016, I gave a short presentation on plotting and planning techniques from Hallie Ephron’s book Writing and Selling Your Mystery Novel: How to Knock ‘Em Dead with Style at the monthly Power of the Pen Meetup in Vancouver, Washington.
The techniques we discussed were
- A “blueprint” for planning a mystery novel
- The shape of a mystery plot (chart)
- Scenes, chapters, acts (“as seen on TV”)
- The scene-by-scene outline (and its uses in a pacing or continuity check).
I also gave a quick overview of how to use Scrivener to generate a scene-by-scene outline. Attached are the files from the presentation.
- Presentation – MS PowerPoint
- Presentation – PDF
- Blueprint for planning a mystery novel – MS Word